Frequently asked questions 2017


1. I have a new email address. How can I update it with RJ?
If you have forgotten or changed your email address, contact a research secretary.

2. I need to change my address and cannot find the new address in the dropdown menu.
Click on 'Ändra person- och adressuppgifter' ('Change personal and address details'). Registered users can update only their own personal particulars. The changed address must be complete with the name of the higher education institution, organisation or company, street or box address, postcode and town or city, and (if outside Sweden) county or area and country. After a few days, the new address will appear in the dropdown menu.

3. I need to change my title. How can I do this?
Click 'Change personal and address details'. Registered users can update only their own titles.

4. How can I add foreign colleagues lacking Swedish personal ID numbers to the application?
Enter the birth date of a person without a Swedish personal identity number, in the following format: YYYY-MM-DD.

5. How should I estimate salary costs for fellow applicants outside Sweden?
As the main applicant, you are responsible for the whole application and must therefore find out which rules apply to all the joint applicants, whichever higher education institution or organisation they are associated with, abroad as well as in Sweden.

6. Where should I add my CV?
You should not add your CV. Instead, describe your function in the project and any relevant skills and qualifications under 'Project Description'. However, it is possible list the main publications of all project participants under 'Publications'. A maximum of five titles per project participant.

7. References – what does that mean?
References are the printed material you may refer to in your project description and these can be added under the 'References' section. They should be entered under 'References', unlike the publications you have yourself written or published.

8. Are references included in the maximum number of characters?
No, they can put in the separate tab 'References'.

9. What costs must be explained in the project description?
All costs, including operating costs, must be specified and explained.

10. How does RJ calculate its grants?

  • Salaries of named researchers: As salary funding for named researchers, RJ normally awards the sum corresponding to the researcher's actual salary level and justified in relation to the research task.
  • As for LKP (employer's social-insurance contribution top-up) and similar employer's contribution costs, remuneration is approved in accordance with calculations from the Swedish Agency for Government Employers, SAGE (and the National Government Employee Pensions Board, SPV). On the other hand, RJ does not fund additional locally determined increments.
  • Costs for operation, incl. staff who are not named in the application: To cover operating costs, including costs of staff not named in the application, RJ approves only costs that are specified and explained in relation to the research task.

11. How does RJ calculate indirect costs and costs of premises ('overheads')?
RJ's grants vary according to support form and how much research is conducted. For full-time (100%) employment lasting one year (12 months), a grant of SEK 150,000 is payable (from 1 January 2016). The volume of working time in a three-year project at a 75% employment rate is 225%, so the grant consists of 2.25 x 150,000 = SEK 337,500.
For further information,

12. Can I apply for support for new Projects if my applications are rejected two years running in the first stage?
No, both project managers and project participants whose applications are rejected in the first stage two years running may not apply in the following year.

13. My PhD thesis disputation is early in the year; can I apply for project support?
Yes, if you obtain your doctorate before the closing date for applications. At the time of application, all research staff must be have completed their doctorates.

14. Can I join in more than one application for project support in the same year?
No, you can take part in only one (1) application for a regular project grant in a single year, regardless of whether you are a project manager or a participant. This limitation does not apply to any other support form, so you can apply for Programme support or RJ Sabbatical, for example.

15. Who must have issued final reports before applying for project support?
By the time they apply, all the project participants must have issued final reports on any previous grants awarded by RJ, unless the call states otherwise.

16. Should I create a new application ahead of the second stage?
No, you should revise your existing application.

17. What language should I use when I write a project application to RJ?
For regular Project applications, the project title and summary must be written in both Swedish and English. The project description can be written in either Swedish or English. For the second stage, applicants must write in English.
For the rules for the other grants, see the call concerned.

18. To be salaried in the project, must researchers (aged 67 and over) be employed for the whole year or is it enough to be employed at the time of the application?
Being employed at the beginning of the project is enough.

19. Can I get an extension to the period for which the funding is available in Projects?
Yes, but only in the event of illness or parental leave. However, at the time when the project is approved RJ automatically allows an extra year for using the funds. Contact your research secretary not later than in the last six months of your period of use if you need to apply for an extension owing to parental leave and/or illness. The project manager must apply for any extension.